28 September 2011

Sunway Anime Convention Twice as Fun

The 2011 Animangaki organised by the Sunway University’s Anime Club (SUAC) was once again a huge success as die-hard anime and cosplay fans from all over Klang Valley made an appearance in this exciting convention.


This year, the gathering was twice the fun as 2,000 people attended to this convention that was held for two days despite running concurrently with the Malaysian Info Toys Fair and the Anicom: Cosplay Competition. Themed “Summer” to illustrate the fun and excitement that accompanies the summer festivals in Japan, the SUAC were determined to introduce new activities to satisfy the passionate crowd. This year, the Touhou Room was introduced, where participants could play games, check out figurines, purchase posters as well as partake in mini-games.

Muhammad Hazwan, a student from the School of Computer Technology (SCT) and committee member of the SUAC said, “As an SCT student, I had to incorporate my skills in designing to invent various attractive designs for the website, posters, pamphlets and t-shirts. It was quite an exciting experience and a platform for me to exercise my skills as I was given no limit, but an in-exhaustive virtual canvas to portray my creativity. It serves as a jumpstart for me and my career”.


Jowena Kok, studying ICAEW was in-charge of securing a sponsorship. She said, “It was fun and educational as I learned how to approach different people from different organisations. It also gave me an opportunity to mentor new committee members into executing different tasks”.

Koh Song Leong from ACCA who is President of SUAC shared, “It was a challenge keeping in touch with so many things at the same time. As a leader, it also taught me how to trust and support my team members. I truly felt that it was the people who made it a memorable experience for me as I learnt to appreciate people for the work they put into making the convention a huge success. I was also able to exercise my social skills as I learnt that there are different ways to approach different people. It was very important to be flexible and study the different schedule of people and use appropriate means to better communicate with them”. Jowena added, “We ensured prompt replies in our exchange of e-mail to show our initiative and working style”.


The 2011 Animangaki saw many competitions such as the Animangki Idol, Cosplay, Art, Yonkoma and Omatsuri competitions that were packed with people. Music aficionados were delighted to see performances from Desu, a pop punk nerd band, Flying Pan, essentially a merger of two different bands Zeolite and Lost Decibels, who are influenced by Japanese rock music and others. The Anime Music Video Competition (AMV) was also held to encourage the creative and talented participants to showcase their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment